Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 1999 18:50:57 +0000
From:      Mark Blackman <tmb@sophos.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   wdc0 using DMA causes reboots.

I couldn't find any direct reference to this in the mailing lists, so I'll ask
here and see what happens.

I've just installed 3.3-991128-SNAP on a very basic system consisting of

a) celeron-366 CPU.
b) an onboard fxp0 ethernet device
c) a single IDE drive (no other IDE devices).
d) usual misc. serial ports/parallel ports/floppy drive.

If I don't enable dma via the 0x2000 flag for this drive, then I can happily
boot up and do 'make -j16 world' with no errors.

If I set dma via 0x20002000 (for the wdc0 device) at configuration, then the
PC won't even finish booting.  The kernel finishes its bit and passes things
off to init, but once 'syslogd' gets printed, the thing reboots spontaneously
with no visible panic message of any kind.  There is a hint of a kernel
message but of course it reboots and I can't be sure. I'm endeavouring to set
up a serial console.

I'm pretty sure its a hardware (m/board-BIOS) problem, but I'd like to be
sure. I've swapped out the CPU,memory and IDE cable (from an identically
configured machine) with no change in results. More significantly, the DMA
options *works* with two other identically configured machines. This
behaviour is also true of a 3.3-RELEASE system.

I'm kind of hoping this will ring bells with someone who'll say, "ah yes, you
need to set the multi-frobnitz-cycles option to 3 rather 2.7" rather than
"this is a hardware problem". call me a dreamer..

Mark B.