Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 14:56:05 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   OT again: Re: hexidecimal literacy

Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it> types:

Actually, I'm not. I'm pretty sure this was from Knuth, back when I
was an undergrad. Unfortunately, my books are all in storage, so I
can't check on it :-(.

> <nit-picking mode>
> 1) a positional notation making use of negative bases looks very
> awkward/impractical (you would have to utilize negative coefficients);
> OTOH, when working with such a positional notation, you are supposed
> to be working on N (ie the set of the "natural" numbers, or positive
> integers); and to add to all this, there are a number of approaches to
> the "construction" of N itself (Peano's, Cipolla's, the set theory
> with all its subtle problems... cf Bourbaki[sm])
>
> 2) Pi, as "e" ~ 2.71828182..., is <gasp> a **trascendental** irrational
> number (!). I let you guess what kind of coefficients you have to use
> to generate integers.
> </nit-picking mode>

You seem to be focused on generating N. If that's the goal, then using
negative (or any base less than 2) or irrational bases is indeed
problematical. However, that doesn't change the fact that a string in
some base has a single, fixed value even for negative and
transcendental bases. As such, they can be safely used to represent
numbers, and make a perfectly valid base.

Ok, maybe I exaggerated a little. The v7 version of dc interpreted an
output base of 0 as base one, using the the bell character for
output. I note with some sense of loss that the GNU dc/bc pair limits
2 <= ibase <= 16, and 2 <= obase.

	<mike