Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2002 01:07:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what slice did I boot from?

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Louis A. Mamakos wrote:

> I've got one of the litle soekris net4501 boards that I use as a
> router/firewall/NAT box, and it works really good.  I have a stripped
> down FreeBSD system that I run in a 16MB partition on an 32MB Compact
> Flash card plugged into the net4501.  Actually, I have two 16MB
> slices, and my goal is to be running from one, and installing
> the "next" version into the second slice.  That way, if the new one
> distribution screws up, I can back-out to the older on on the other
> partition.

I've actually been monkeying with this and ran into a bigger problem ..
boot2 only knows how to handle one FreeBSD slice. You have to play
loader(8) tricks to boot the second slice.

Specifically...
. abort the kernel load
. 'set currdev=disk1s2a:'
. 'load /boot/kernel/kernel' (and so forth)

Particularly if you are running -CURRENT you must compile in your device
hints, otherwise everything gets confused.

For picking the appropriate slice, you are up a creek all right.
Assumably at some point you have to select a slice anyway, and you can use
that to rewrite fstab.  Depending on the old compatibilty slice will
certainly get you in hot water.

I've been thinking about hacking up some forth to handle this switching
programatically, so you get a nice menu to pick which FreeBSD slice to
boot from if you enable the feature.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org