Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 07:52:05 -0700
From:      "D. J. King" <dj@stmichael.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Panics with Vinum

My configuration is:

AMD K6-3 with 256MB memory
2x18GB IBM IDE Disks

FreeBSD 3.3-Release

My Vinum Config is:

drive d1 device /dev/wd2h
drive d2 device /dev/wd0g

volume home

        plex org concat
                sd length 12990M drive d1
        plex org concat
                sd length 12990M drive d2

vinum create -f /etc/vinum.conf yields:

Configuration summary

Drives:         2 (4 configured)
Volumes:        1 (4 configured)
Plexes:         2 (8 configured)
Subdisks:       2 (16 configured)

D d1                    State: up       Device /dev/wd2h        Avail:
0/12990 MB (0%)
D d2                    State: up       Device /dev/wd0g        Avail:
0/12990 MB (0%)

V home                  State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:         12
GB

P home.p0             C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:         12
GB
P home.p1             C State: faulty   Subdisks:     1 Size:         12
GB

S home.p0.s0            State: up       PO:        0  B Size:         12
GB
S home.p1.s0            State: reviving PO:        0  B Size:         12
GB
---------------------------------
vinum stop home.p1
vininum start home.p1
vinum list
Configuration summary

Drives:         2 (4 configured)
Volumes:        1 (4 configured)
Plexes:         2 (8 configured)
Subdisks:       2 (16 configured)

D d1                    State: up       Device /dev/wd2h        Avail:
0/12990 MB (0%)
D d2                    State: up       Device /dev/wd0g        Avail:
0/12990 MB (0%)

V home                  State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:         12
GB

P home.p0             C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:         12
GB
P home.p1             C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:         12
GB

S home.p0.s0            State: up       PO:        0  B Size:         12
GB
S home.p1.s0            State: up       PO:        0  B Size:         12
GB
--------------------------------------
At this point, I reboot then:
vinum start

Fatal trap 12
Fault Virtual Address	0x10
Fault Code		Supervisor Read, Page Not Present
Instruction Pointer	0x8:0xc2109317
Stack Pointer		0x10:0xcf0a8c44
Frame Pointer		0x10:0xcf0a8c98
blah, blah, blah

This is repeatable, at least in my environment

I've also tried this after mounting the volume, after vinum init of one
or both plexes, after reintegrating a downed plex, with only one plex
defined for the volume, and using "vinum read" rather than "vinum
start"...

In other words, it works great as long as I configure it by hand...
BUT... as soon as I try to let it configure itself, down it goes,

If, instead of doing a "vinum read" or "vinum start" I use "vinum
create" again, all is well, BTW... but this is a bit messy in a
production environment.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Doug King