Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2001 23:05:42 -0500
From:      "Kutulu" <kutulu@kutulu.org>
To:        "Tomek" <tomek@mpionline.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Best Version? Stable/Release/?

From: "Tomek" <tomek@mpionline.com>
To: <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2001 10:51 PM
Subject: Best Version? Stable/Release/?

> Hello there,
> From my understanding, the stable version is more stable tahn the
> release version and is the safest bet for important servers, I just want
> to verify if this is correct.

Technically, the "stable" version is likely to be less stable than a
"release" version, though in practice they are both pretty solid.  Read the
first few questions on:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/introduction.html

for the details.  The basic idea is, changes get made to the "current"
version, and tested extensively.  The really important or useful ones will
often get added into the "stable" version once they are generally thought to
be bug free.  Every so often, the "stable" version is judged to be solid
enough for it's current state to be sent out as a new "release" version, and
that's what you get when you buy CD's etc.

For truly mission critical servers, you probably want to go with the latest
release version.  However, if you are careful with when/what you update and
recompile, you should be fine using the latest stable version, and in
particular, there have been quite a few useful changes since 4.4-RELEASE.

--K