Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 01:08:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Oleg Polyakov <opolyakov@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: delayed ACK

--- Steve Francis <steve@expertcity.com> wrote:
> Lars Eggert wrote:
>
> >Paul Herman wrote:
> >

> >>Not true.  Although some bugs have been fixed in 4.3, FreeBSD's
> >>delayed ACKs will still degrade your performance dramatically in
> >>some cases.
> >>

> >I'm sorry, but such statements without a packet trace that exhibits the
> >problem are just not useful.
> >
> >Lars
> >

> He's probably referring to poorly behaved windows clients, on certain
> applications, if you leave net.inet.tcp.slowstart_flightsize at default.
>
> Incidentally, why are not the defaults on
> net.inet.tcp.slowstart_flightsize higher?
> RFC2414 seems to indicate it should be higher. Solaris in version 8 and
> later default to 4 for this value.

As you may know there is RFC draft which will replace RFC2414
(draft-ietf-tsvwg-initwin-04).
It also require to decrease cwnd in case we decreasing MSS because of
PMTU Discovery to prevent small packet bursts.

I've got patches, they are pretty trvial - somebody with commit bit has
to take a look and put them in a tree.

----
Oleg