Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 05:14:46 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Eric Jacoboni <jaco@teaser.fr>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pbs with make release

Eric Jacoboni <jaco@teaser.fr> types:
> I try to burn a release CD of the -Stable branch.
>
> I've done a make buildword/buildkernel/installkernel/installworld and
> all went ok.
>
> After reading various posts, i've understood that all i have to do is:
>
> # cd /usr/src/release
> # make release CHROOTDIR=/usr/local/tmp/release \
>                BUILDNAME=4.3-BETA \
>                CVSROOT=/usr/src
>
> as i update the -Stable source with cvsup.
>
> But the make fails with:
>
> =-=-=-=-=-=--=-=
> ===> etc
> rm -rf /tmp/install.16624
> mkdir /usr/local/tmp/release//bootstrap
> for i in /sbin/mount /sbin/umount /usr/bin/cpio ; \
> do  cp -p /usr/local/tmp/release$i /usr/local/tmp/release//bootstrap ;  done
> cd /usr/local/tmp/release/usr && rm -rf src &&  cvs -R -d /usr/src co -P src
> cvs [checkout aborted]: there is no repository /usr/src/src
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/release.
>
> Is there something wrong with my command ?

No, so long as what's in /usr/src is really a copy of the FreeBSD CVS
repository, and not the src tree that normally lives there.

To build a release, you *have* to have a local CVS repository. That's
where CVSROOT should point.

Of course, I haven't actually done this; I've just looked over the
documentation. That makes it pretty clear that you need a real
repository, not just the current sources.

	<mike