Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 1999 14:55:22 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        atrens@nortelnetworks.com (Andrew Atrens), ksb@abyss.net (Kevin S. Brackett), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cd writer recommendation?

Amancio Hasty wrote...
> Lets see what the CAM people have to say about providing an
> interface to ATAPI CDs including CD recorders.
>

> > On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Kevin S. Brackett wrote:
> >
> > > For a list of "reported to work" drives that work with cdrecord check out:
> > > http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdwriters-1.8.html
> > >
> > > Also, notice the "It should run on: All SCSI-3/mmc compliant drives, All
> > > ATAPI/mmc compliant drvies"
> > >
> > > The HP 7200 drive is listed, so maybe it will work with your drive.
> >
> > Hmm, actually it requires Linux's `scsi emulation layer' which makes
> > atapi's look like scsi's (I know this is a simplification) - FreeBSD
> > currently has no equivalent :) .
> >
> > Andrew.

The reason the ATAPI subsystem isn't under CAM is because Soren hasn't been
terribly interested in doing it.  Justin and I have offered to help, but we
won't be the ones doing the bulk of the work if it happens.

Perhaps if Soren or someone else has the time and inclination at some
point, it will happen.  I wouldn't count on it anytime soon, though.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org