Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2002 08:28:31 -0500
From:      Chris Corayer <CCorayer@adetech.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Best options for backup?

I will be attempting a new printserver as the current NT 4.0 one has gotten
entirely too flaky.

I wish to use FreeBSD for it.  I will run SAMBA and will try to get the
permissions from the NT controllers which SAMBA supposedly supports.  The
main backup server uses DLT tapes and runs NT on an Alpha platform ( it's an
old 4100 if that matters ).

The print server will have 4 file systems on it.  /, /tmp, /usr, /var and
the swap partition.

My question is what would the best backup options be for this printserver?

As far as I can tell, I have the following options.

A)  I could try installing a second hard disk and try to mirror the main
disk periodically.  This should allow me to have a full backup and allow a
very fast restore.  I just need to figure out how to do the mirroring thing
though. I'm also not entirely sure how a restore would work - perhaps
there's a way to boot the machine off the older "good" disk and then mirror
the drives again?

B)  I could try to get the backup server to backup through SAMBA somehow.
I'm not entirely sure how a restore would work if I needed one here either.

Ideally I'd like to try doing both so that I have an off site tape backup
with the second disk immediately available if I should need it.

So, are there some other options I'm missing?  I don't have a spare CD
writer to throw in this box, so I'm out of luck there.  If anyone has any
other ideas, or good sources/procedures for the two ideas I already have,
please post the links or respond in private rather than clutter the list.

Thank You.

-Christopher Corayer

Information Services

ADE Technologies