Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 13:03:06 -0800
From:      "David Schultz" <vvortex1@home.com>
To:        "Tim McMillen" <timcm@umich.edu>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sound Support

From: "Tim McMillen" <timcm@umich.edu>
> Hi, try upgrading to 4.2-release or 4.2-stable.  The guys working on
> sound are doing a good job and it is improving very quickly.  It is
> still pretty new though.  So to get the best sound, you'll have to have
> the newest version of the driver which will require the newest version
> of everything else.  It is possible teh newest kld's would work with
> 4.1, but I don't think so.  Somebody else would have to comment on that.
> The SB Live had particularly experimental sound support in FreeBSD so
> this all applies especially to that card.

Thanks a lot for the information.

I know someone with 4.2 who is more of a music junkie than I am, and he
claims the same problems with his Turtle Beach card. (I'm not sure of the
exact model.) I have made a few tweaks to the kernel because VESA support
wasn't working, among other things, so I'd rather not update everything
without a reasonable amount of assurance that I will get an improvement.
Does anyone have any success stories with sound in the 4.2 kernel with an SB
Live card? Maybe I'll look through the CVS repository and see if I can't
make the new driver work with the old kernel. Once again, thanks a lot.