Date:      Sun, 4 Nov 2007 17:11:55 +0000
From:      Matt Dawson <matt@chronos.org.uk>
To:        Robert Noland <rnoland@2hip.net>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg-7.3_1 + Radeon XPress 200M + VT switch = white screen?

=46irst off, thanks to all that replied. I think Robert's post comes closes=
t to=20
defining the problem.

On Saturday 03 Nov 2007, Robert Noland wrote:
> I'll suggest that this is a problem with the mode setting in the current
> driver. =A0I also experience lockups, or screen corruption when switching
> back to VT with the released driver. =A0The driver from git seems to have
> already fixed this.

Thanks, Robert. As long as it's a known issue I'll wait for an update to th=
e=20
xf86-video-ati port.

As an aside, this isn't just the usual lines, corrupt screen, fade to grey,=
=20
close the lid, switch VTs a few times and it goes type VT switching problem=
=2E=20
I've had this on this machine before, and switching back to X and then back=
=20
to the console once or twice usually forces it to behave itself. This is a=
=20
pure, honest-to-goodness white screen with no other artifacts which no amou=
nt=20
of switching back and to makes a difference to. It remains right up to=20
shutdown. In other words, once X has started, the console never displays a=
=20
character again until reboot.
=2D-=20
Matt Dawson.