Date:      p 29 Jun 96 21:54:17 PST
From:      "Brett Glass" <Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com>
To:        "Jacob M. Parnas" <jparnas@jparnas.cybercom.net>, henry@zoo.toronto.edu
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.org, bsdi-users@bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: muliport boards - building a PPP dialup server

> The TI 17550 can go up to 900kbaud/second, which is a new UART.

That's the TI 15570, I believe. It has a 64-byte buffer, as does one of the
new Exar/Startech parts.

Some of the other solutions use "intelligent" UARTs from Cirrus Logic. The
big flaw in the Cirrus Logic parts, however, is that the firmware that runs
the chips' internal processors can not be programmed or expanded upon, so
your CPU must perform all functions that aren't already built in. And
that's a shame. I'd love to see a microcode expansion port (possibly as a
bond-out option) on these.

--Brett