Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 09:21:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
To:        Barrett Richardson <brich@aye.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: chflags on log files question

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Barrett Richardson wrote:

> Maybe syslog is opening the file read/write and then positioning
> the file pointer at the end. That will fail when the uappnd flag is
> set (it must be opened for append).

Hadn't thought about it. But I just installed the flags yesterday.
And the file has not been written to since the 3rd. So I have some other
problem I ned to figure out. But im glad you mentioned it.
It says uappnd is the user append flag. since the file is owned by root
syslog should be able to write to it. Hmm

Chris

--
"You both seem to be ignoring the fact that the networking market is
driven by so-called 'IT professionals' these days, most of whom can't