Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 1998 22:17:39 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Lanny Baron <beef@cybertouch.org>, Stewart Heckenberg <youdaman@reincarnate.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Newbies <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: New to FreeBSD

On Wed, Aug 19, 1998 at 02:13:05PM -0400, Lanny Baron wrote:
>  I kinda wonder why you call FreeBSD a clone. But as I understand it,
> FreeBSD is the free version of Berkely Unix.

For legal reasons, FreeBSD (and Linux for that matter) can't claim that
they *are* 'Unix'. 'Unix-like' is OK. Some people substitute the word
'clone' without meaning it as a derogatory term.

FreeBSD is directly descended from 4.3BSD Net/2, everything prior to 2.0
was based on this code (via 386BSD). Version 2.0 (the first version I
ever used) included code merged from 4.4BSD lite (which was a version of
'real' 4.4BSD without some critical files included, Novell (I think)
thought that not including these files would slow down the free efforts.

/usr/share/misc/bsd-family-tree on your system should be informative. In
addition, Terry Lambert (terry@lambert.org in mail, he posts to Usenet
with the mail address dont@spam.me) who was involved (as an engineer, at
Novell, when the lawsuit started (I think, I could be *very* wrong about
him working at Novell)) occasionally posts a fair amount it.

A DejaNews search <URL:http://www.dejanews.com/>; for

    ~g comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc ~a dont@spam.me lawsuit

should probably bring up a bunch of postings from him, and you can piece
it all together from there.

Bottom line -- FreeBSD is not Unix. However, it's a damn site close to it,
and together with NetBSD, OpenBSD, and BSDi has (IMHO) a strong moral, if
not legal, claim to the title.

Work: nik@iii.co.uk                       | FreeBSD + Perl + Apache
Rest: nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk    | Remind me again why we need
Play: nik@freebsd.org                     | Microsoft?