Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 06:33:30 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        "Charles A. Peters" <cpeters2@home.com>
Cc:        Freebsd-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Majordomo error .. returned mail: testlist-list ... aliasing/forwarding loop broken

On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 03:29:15PM -0400, Charles A. Peters wrote:
> I am setting up a mailing list using majordomo version 1.94.  I
> receive the following in an email message to the owner of the test
> list (me) indicating that the aliasing/forwarding loop has been
> broken:

> 550 :include:/usr/local/majordomo/lists/testlist... Cannot open
> /usr/local/majordomo/lists/testlist: Group writable directory
> 554 testlist-list... aliasing/forwarding loop broken

You haven't done anything wrong at all. This is a FAQ, but it's not
easy to find the answer. Majordomo 1.94.4 was so good that it hasn't
needed to be updated in ages. Since then, sendmail has changed
radically and the combination with the newer sendmails (8.9x) causes
this error. It is noted in the FAQ, but not in the ancient FAQ shipped
with majorodomo, and IIRC the supplied FAQ gives only a broken old URL
for the supposed location of new versions of the FAQ.

To solve the immediate problem, make the majordomo/lists directory so
that group can't write to it:
# chmod g-w /usr/local/majordomo/lists
You didn't want to let special people log in and fiddle with your config
anyway, did you?

You might also need to shuffle the location of your majordomo aliases
(or change the permissions on the majordomo directory twice) to stop
other complaints from sendmail. Since the person who works on majordomo
here is root anyway, I put the aliases into /etc and tell sendmail to
look there, or simply add them to the normal /etc/alias file if there's
only a few lists.

To get the latest version of the FAQ, go to
http://www.greatcircle.com/majordomo

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-