Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 08:54:32 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-config@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Package based configuration control

Bill Moran wrote:
> <SNIP A LOT OF DETAILED STUFF ...>
>
> While "going on forever" would actually be required in order
> to fix things, I'm more interested in why you think that
> sysintall needs "to go" - or did I misunderstand your previous
> post? Do you think that there are simply so many problems
> with sysinstall that it's not worth fixing? I guess I was
> looking at the basic menu-driven layout and wondering
> what you saw wrong with that.

Well, for one thing, the packages menu puts up the wrong
text field from the packages as the detailed description;
for another, there are the navigation issues that Eric
Melville is currently working on (space vs. tab vs. return).

In general, I also think that the menus are too deep, and
are not organized orthogonally (there should be as little
difference as possible between the appearance of ports vs.
packages vs. base system components, when it comes to
installing them.

It's also annoying that packages have to have their
category headers compiled into the program as static
strings, or they show up as two-headed stepchildren.

But the main problem I have is that there are some things
which are tracked, and some things which aren't; it should
be the case that everything is tracked.

A surprising number of people have expressed an interest
in working on a package-based install in private email,
so it's probably an idea whose time has come.  We should
probably resurrect the -config mailing list for this
purpose.  I've Cc:'ed that list on this response.

If anyone wants to join the list, send a message to

majordomo@freebsd.org

With the body:

subscribe freebsd-config@freebsd.org

-- Terry