Date:      11 Feb 2000 10:48:35 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        Paul Boehmer <pboehmer@seidata.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Amanda

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000 08:18:51 -0500, Paul Boehmer <pboehmer@seidata.com> said:

Paul> I think we all can agree that Amanda is very cumbersome to use

Cumbersome to install on multiple machines and configure yes, but easy
to use: just let amanda drive the tape robot and backup your boxes
while you sleep.

Paul> What is needed is a good front end for Amanda, either console or
Paul> X11.  I have not been able to find one available for FreeBSD.
Paul> If someone knows about one or is currently working on one, I
Paul> think we would all appreciate hearing about it.

I just checked the "webmin" pages (web based sysadm functions); seems
like it would be a good unifying framework for this. Amanda is on
their "wish list" but no one has yet volunteered to coordinate/write
it.

I've never understood how you could take something complex and make it
easy by slapping a GUI on it, but webmin has modules for sendmail
config and other nontrivial packages.

Would be a cool hack...