Date:      Mon, 01 Jan 2001 19:30:52 +0000
From:      Orion Hodson <O.Hodson@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
To:        khuon@GBLX.Net (Jake Khuon)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, fenner@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vat and 4.2-STABLE

<200012300438.eBU4cJh23306@Espresso.NEEBU.Net>Jake Khuon writes:
> Anyone seeing this problem when trying to run vat?

> pcm0: record overrun, dumping 16044 bytes
> HDController::audio_handle()
>
> ... ad nauseum...
>
> vat totally locks up and I needed to kill -9 it to get it to stop.
>
> The laptop is a Sony VAIO with the Yamaha audio chipset.

The duplex probing code in VAT has not kept step with newpcm.

The card is full duplex, and opens correctly as such, but VAT manages
to detect as half-duplex and selects a half-duplex audio controller.
The audio_handle and overrun messages dervice audio being available
for reading but the application not expecting it and not reading it.

The following patch to ports/mbone/vat should correct this:

Kind Regards
- Orion.