Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 1995 13:29:36 +1000 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        kaleb@x.org (Kaleb S. KEITHLEY)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape puzzle

>> > I had tried that and it didn't make any difference with the BSD 2.0b1,
>> > I still got an "unable to open display" error. :-(
>>
>> I suggest compiling a program that does a:
>>
>> main()
>> {
>> 	printf( "DISPLAY is '%s'\n", getenv("DISPLAY"));
>> }
>>
>> On a BSDI 2.0 system and running it on a FreeBSD box and seeing what
>> you get.
>
>Would that I had a BSD/OS 2.0 system to do that on. All I've got is a
>1.1 CD-ROM. :-(

I just tried it (compiled with 'gcc2 -static'), and it dumps core when
run on FreeBSD 2.0.5 or the 951020 SNAP.  A stack trace from gdb shows
it dying in start().  Should it be compiled with a different
compiler/options on BSD/OS 2.0?

'file' on BSD/OS says:  386 compact demand paged pure executable not stripped
'file' on FreeBSD says: BSD/386 demand paged (first page unmapped) pure ex

David