Date:      Mon, 3 May 1999 22:44:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wc* routines

On Mon, 3 May 1999, David E. Cross wrote:

# > > Ugh... I am already working on this, and have 99% of the wc* functions
# > > written and documented (I posted awhile back with the location of a very
# > > pre-alpha set of my work, and asked for patches ;)
# >
# > Yes, I am aware of that. I did get the pre-alpha back then. But are you
# > doing ALL of the functions from wchar.h and wctype.h? Such as fwprintf()?
# > I did not see those in the pre-alpha.
# >
# > This is why I am asking in the first place. I certainly do not want to
# > duplicate your effort. :-) If you are doing it all, great! If not, please
# > let me know what else needs to be done.
#
# Ah, sorry.  I didn't even know of fwprintf().  My experience with wchar and
# NLS library functions is limited to what motif and CDE requires to build.
# I would be most interested in working with you to get a complete set of
# everything done.  I will post a beta version of my work shortly (including
# man pages :).

Great!  Adam and I spoke about this in private mail at some
length before he made his orginal post.  He (nor do I) has
any intention of duplicating any of your work.  We are here
to help with what you and John Fieber have already started.
We all want to see wchar support make it into FreeBSD.  Adam
has offered to help with the coding.  Just for the record I'd
like to help too, but I'm not as strong at this stuff as the
rest of you.  I do have commit privs so I'm sure I can help
get it into the distribution at least. :)

Would anyone besides me (and Adam whom I've already talked
about this) think it wise to have jmb setup a mailing list
for posts specific to i18n and l10n?  I'd be glad to send
him a request if there was enough interest.

-steve