Date:      Sat, 15 Aug 1998 06:31:54 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
Cc:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Found reason why lpr -r -s doesn't work as expected

> > In message <199808141807.UAA13224@internal> Andre Albsmeier writes:
> > :                         if (strchr(line+1, '/'))
> > :                                 continue;
> > : This disables the removement of files starting with '/'. This was
> > : introduced in version 1.14 according to the CVS log. However, I didn't
> > : find an explanation  why this change was made. Is it a security hole?
> >
> > Without this fix, people could remove any file on your system by
> > having remote print access.
>
> OK, and if remote access is disabled would it be safe? Have you got
> any references how this exploit exactly works so I can figure out
> what to do in order to be able to remove both files and without
> making my machine insecure...

No.  By revoking remote access to your lpd, e.g. firewall, you would
still have an exposure that local users could exploit, which in this
case revoking access to local users would solve the problem.  I think
you get the picture...

Open Systems Group          Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Government of BC