Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 1995 17:00:00 -0500
From:      lray@aurora.liunet.edu
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   bad super block

I've just installed FreeBSD 2.1.0 on a 486/66 (intel).  The computer
has 2 ide hard drives, the 1st is a 400 mg Cavier drive and the second
a 600 mg Seagate.  I installed from floppies I created, and the whole
install went fine except I was never asked for the compat1x or compat20
floppies and got a message that they weren't installed.  When I boot
the machine, I get a message:

/dev/rwd0a: BAD SUPER BLOCK: VALUES IN SUPER BLOCK DISAGREE WITH THOSE IN FIRST
ALTERNATE

/dev/rwd0a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY

running fsck manually just repeats the "BAD SUPER BLOCK message and prints:
Floating exception - core dumped

If anyone can help me get a clean installation I'd be forever greatful.

Thanks
L.Ray