Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2002 13:43:40 -0600
From:      Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org>
To:        "E. J. Cerejo" <ejcerejo@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache: Can't access any page from remote PC

At 11:25 PM 3/29/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a dynamic IP and I'm running dns2go for that reason and I've been
>trying to configure apache and I still can't access anything from a
>remote pc, it times out all the time but I know apache is working
>because if I type my hostname in netscape I get the apache index.html.en
>page.  Now I edited my hosts file to this:

[snip]

from http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#listen

--
Syntax: Listen [IP-address:]port
If the first format is used, with a port number only, the server listens to

Thus, you want to use

Listen 80

To tell apache to listen on all interfaces.

Verify that apache is up and listening by using sockstat, `sockstat -l |
grep httpd`

Then telnet to your external IP address, port 80

# telnet external.ip.add.ress 80
Trying external.ip.add.ress...
Connected to foo.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /
<head>
..
..
Connection closed by foreign host.

Next telnet to the machine from a remote host.  If you get connection
refused or the network connection hangs, your
provider may be filtering port 80.  Try another port with apache, such as
8080 to verify.

If you still have problems, a lot of apache wizards hang out in
comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix.

--
Christopher Schulte
http://www.schulte.org/