Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 23:01:43 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Grant Cooper <grant.cooper@nucleus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding NIC to FreeBSD

Grant Cooper wrote:
> When you add a nic to Window's you have a disk of drivers that you install?
> On the box of the NIC it also says it has drivers. So I am trying to install
> my card so I can get DSL. The only problem is I can't get connectivity. I
> followed the step's modifying ppp.conf. I see that my network card is
> sending something, but I'm not getting the LARGE P to appear.

It's not clear what you're doin, or what "steps" you're following.
If you install a NIC, you won't need ppp, unless you ISP does PPPOE, which
is different and has a slightly different configuration process.

> My second question is, the tun<#> command. I am currently using tun0 but I
> also have available tun1. One for my modem and one for my NIC card I think.
> When I add another NIC card, will I have a tun2?

No.
Each card will have its own device (fxp0, or de0, etc) depending on what
driver in the kernel it requires.  You configure these directly, you won't
need a tun device unless you're using PPPOE, which is (again) different
configuration than standard PPP.  What kind of NICs do you have?  Look
through the file /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT to see what drivers they
use and make sure they're showing up in ifconfig.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies