Date:               Fri, 17 Feb 1995 11:00:15 -240
From:      "Pavlov's Cat" <Pavlov's.Cat>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org, duane@dtq.ptw.com
Subject:         Re: pop3

Andreas Schulz <ats@g386bsd.first.gmd.de> said:
> > 2.	My service provider has pop3 running on his machine and I don't have
> > 	a clue as to how to grab the mail from him via a ppp connect.  If
> > 	this is generally a bad idea I would appreciate the info
>
> Not necessary a bad idea :-). But, i don't know if there is a good
> unix solution to get your mail with pop. You can look at the pine port,
> this has something with pop in it.

Another alternative that I beat into submission was a program called
"popclient" (or some such...).

Basically it periodically (I used cron) or on-demand contacts a POP-3
server, authenticates the user info, pulls all spooled mail for the
user, and splices the result onto the end of /var/mail/*user*.  Then
Pine, Elm, Mail, whatever, can access the messages in whatever
environment the user finds most suitable.

I can't remember where I found it, exactly, and archie wasn't much
help; it gave me a bunch of false starts when I queried on
"popclient".  But, I persevered and found it.

I have subsequently left the job where I worked this project, but let
me know if you can't find this package; I can poke around at home and
see where I saved the source deck I stashed.

(The environment I developed this solution for was to permit *nix
hosts to suck mail that had been sent/queued to NetWare (using
SMTP!?!) to their local hosts using POP-3.  Don't even ask! %-)

Luck...

--
...sjs...
Steve Sims                                            SimsS@Infi.Net                                    Virginia Beach, VA