Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:48:11 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What does this mean and how do I stop it ?

> > These entries appear frequently in the daily security report of
> > a FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE machine (Bind 8.2.x)
> >
> > > Connection attempt to UDP 127.0.0.1:2343 from 127.0.0.1:53
>
> I don't care if everybody's telling you it's DNS *lookup* -- I
> feel this is something different, since it's going *from* port 53
> *to* something random(?).

It's the *answer* to a DNS query (lookup). The answer came so late
that the DNS client (probably the resolver routines linked into the
application) had already closed the UDP socket in question - thus
there's nobody listening there. To me this was already implied from
the previous messages in this thread...