Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 16:08:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Joey Garcia <bear@pacificnet.net>
To:        KapuT <kaput@whoever.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Newbies <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FUG- FreeBSD User Group

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, KapuT wrote:

> The run for OS is not over: www.be.com is a good example of future.
> This is a new Operating System, and they run FreeBSD for www.be.com
> because BeOS cannot right now be used as a server: to much bugs.

Hmmm....I didn't know that.  I do believe that the BeOS project seems to
be quite promising.  Sometimes I wish I had the funds in order to buy a
bunch of machines in order to play with different OS's

> Now Linux is popular because of the support and the integration of
> knowledge and web page about it.  And also for the *hackers*
> reputation...  The news papers talk about them.

I too believe in more publicity for FreeBSD.  Linux seems to get alot more
publicity in the news and such.  Hell, it was sort of big news because of
the phenomenal hit movie "Titanic".  One good thing about that is that, at
least it was a free-unix machine and not a Windows machine that did the
work. :)  I know that FreeBSD is meant to be free, but with publicity I
think that Walnut Creek might be getting more orders for it.  Hopefully
that would raise funds in order to speed up the development of FreeBSD.
Redhat and Caldera seem to be making a killing off of Linux.  I don't
know, those are just my speculations.  I really don't even know how much
the Linux distributors make, or even what Walnut Creek makes off of
FreeBSD.

> I suggest
> We should create more powerfull link between the devellopers and the
> users.

Yes, that seems like a great idea!!  Although, I'm not as experienced
enough to acutally have any input I guess.  But then again, considering
this is an Open System...if you want to have input...I guess you cans
start coding and being part of the development team.  Hell I would, but I
don't know how to program yet.

> We also should do 1 FUG "Freebsd User Groups" by town and we should put
> the list on www.FreeBSD.org
>
> BeOS have seen than that was that than the user want: they publish all
> there User Groups on there web page!

I would love to join a user group in my area, but I don't know if any
exist.  And I'm afriad that I'm too much of a novice to even start one.
But I'm all in favor of a FreeBSD User Group.  I'm also in favor of the
FreeBSD website having some more user input.  Sometimes it seems that the
FreeBSD homepage doesn't even change.  (when do they update it?)

> I also suggest than www.FreeBSD.org do a space for us, users...
> And than they put a bug report page (I have not find any on there page)
> like on www.openbsd.org

A bug list would be nice.

> I also suggest than we copy all good thing from other OS, all the good
> user-concept
> Take the better of all ;-)

Nothing wrong with borrowing ideas....right? Apple did it when they stole,
*ahem* I mean borrowed the GUI idea from Xerox.  *grin*

> I have finded than computer user are lost on FreeBSD... I was lost... a
> friends help me, but it was chance: you do not have always a friends who
> know about FreeBSD!
>
> So I have Created my own FUG for my town.  I am not an advanced user,
> but its a place to start!
> and FreeBSD should support an irc channel like #freebsd-newbies
> and that channel should not be for chatting: just for stupid questions
> like "wath's *ls*"
> :-)

Good for you in starting your own user group!!! I should probably do the
same.  Your idea about the irc channel for newbies isn't so bad, but you
know...you could make your own freebsd-newbies channel.  Just open that
channel and run a bot.  And sit there and help poeple out.  I think we
have to keep in mind that alot of the FreeBSD Guru's probably don't have
the time, nor patience to sit there and type out a how-to on irc.  But, at
least newbies can work problems out with other newbies and maybe we all
can learn together.

> I think than I will create a page where I will put all FUG who exist, if
> your interested, mail me please or inform me where I can find them...

Good idea!!