Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 2014 09:58:56 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        orcaman42@gmail.com
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gnome2 isn't installing

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 8:37 AM, <orcaman42@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is running on a clean install of:
> $freebsd: tags/RELEASE_10_1_0/x11/gnome2/Makefile 367888 2014-09-10
> 20:50:31Z gerald $
>
> Staging for gnome2-2.32.1_7
> gnome2-2.32.1_7 depends on file: /usr/local/libexec/gweather-applet-2 -
> not found
> Verifying install for /usr/local/libexec/gweather-applet-2 in
> /usr/ports/x11/gnome-applets
> gnome-applets-2.32.1.1_6 cannot install: Unknown component gnome panel.
> Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make[2]: stopped in /usr/ports/x11/gnome-applets
> Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/x11/gnome
> Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/ports/x11/gnome2
>
> [...]
>
> Am I missing something? Is this my fault? Can I help fix this? ( I have no
> idea how to code? ) To me this looks like it's missing something off the
> server? But I don't think I can add something to the server? Any help would
> be appreciated! :)
>
> Chris

Yes, you are. Gnome2 and it's sub-ports have been deleted with the upgrade
to gnome3.

You have the choice of installing x11/gnome3 or, if you like Gnome3 as well
as I do, either x11/mate or x11/cinnamon. mate is a fork of gnome2 with
enhancements and cinnamon is an alternative to Gnome3 that is still gtk3
based, but has apps that retain the configurability and flexibility of
Gnome2.

I am running Mate just fine and have played with cinnamon just a bit.
Cinnamon is probably how I should have gone, but I'm lazy and the mate
learning curve is pretty slight while cinnamon is fairly different from
gnome2. I tried cinnamon on Linux Mint, so I can't speak to the state of
the cinnamon port.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com