Date:      27 Jul 2000 15:16:01 -0400
From:      Nat Lanza <magus@cs.cmu.edu>
To:        Damien Tougas <damien@tougas.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kerberos and DHCP

Damien Tougas <damien@tougas.net> writes:

> I don't know alot about kerberos, and was wondering if someone could
> answer a question for me. It is my understanding that kerberos depends
> on a host key for autentication, and that the host key is tied to the
> hostname of the client. If that is the case, how is it possible to use
> kerberos with a client computer that connects via dhcp?

I think you're confusing "uses DHCP" with "does not have a static
IP address". It's definitely possible to configure DHCP such that a
machine will always be given the same IP address. CMU does this; when
I plug my wavelan card into my laptop, it will always be
'pellerin.wv.cc.cmu.edu', even though it's using DHCP.

The difficulty with kerberos is dynamic addresses, and even that is
only a problem in some cases. You need a host key if you want to
authenticate the host -- for example, a kerberized ssh connection to
host foo.cs.cmu.edu wants to make sure that the entity claiming to be
foo.cs.cmu.edu really is the real foo.cs.cmu.edu and not an impostor,
so it uses foo's host key.

If you just want to use the machine for outbound connections, where
you're more interested in authenticating the user than the host, then
you don't really need a host key. My laptop exists on three networks
(as pellerin.pdl.cs.cmu.edu, pellerin.wv.cc.cmu.edu, and
pellerin.rem.cmu.edu), depending on where I am. I don't have a host
key on it, and I can still make outbound kerberized ssh and telnet
connections, authenticate to AFS, and run various kerberos-aware tools
like zephyr in all three networks without problems.

So basically you only really need to care about a host key when the
machine is a server. If you only have a dynamic address for the
machine, then it's unlikely that you want to use it as a server, so
you're fine.

--nat

--
nat lanza --------------------- research programmer, parallel data lab, cmu scs