Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 01:28:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@dsuper.net>
To:        jason schwab <jasonschwab@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: !!!really, really big problem with *BSD!!!

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, jason schwab wrote:

!>I was surfing the net and talking on irc, as usual, I see this
!>sockopt.c file, my friend sends me it, he tells me it'll lock up
!>any openbsd / netbsd / freebsd server, just compile normally and run
!>it.. poof locks up...
!>
!>I tried it on OpenBSD 2.5, OpenBSD 2.6, FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE,
!>FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE, FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE and FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE
!>
!>and it WORKED.

	This situation has been fixed, in two different ways which, for what
  concerns this particular "problem" (really, it's a resource exhaustion)
  in -CURRENT:

  	(a) Limit sockbuf size.

	(b) Code has been added to -CURRENT which will prevent the system
	from going down. (e.g. panic()).

!>
!>can we work together on fixxing this? non-root user, just compiles
!>and runs, and poof system locks up.
!>
!>Thanks,
!>Jason L. Schwab
!>
!>(below is the sockopt.c file, also found on www.hack.co.za)
!>

	You really should have taken a look at the mailing list archives
  before switching on the alarm. :-)

  Bosko.

--
  Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@dsuper.net>