Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2000 08:31:55 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        William Sang Min Bae <wbae@home.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vinum (again)

On Sun, Feb 27, 2000 at 09:11:49PM -0800, William Sang Min Bae wrote:
> I have newbie question about vinum too:
>
> I have 2 IBM 4.5GIG SCSI drives.  I have setup FreeBSD-stable-3.4 on one of
> the drives w/ a 100mb root partition, a 256M swap partition (128megs ram)
> and the rest for the /usr directory (plus /var and /tmp inside /usr).
>
> How can I setup vinum to completely mirror the 2 drives and include all
> partitions in the same mirrored plex?  Is this possible?

Not in FreeBSD 3.x where you cannot use vinum on the root
partition. You could easily mirror the other partition. Personally,
what I would do is partition each disk identically into three
partitions, ~100 MB, ~128 MB, and the remainder. Use one ~100 MB
partition as the root partition, the other possibly as /tmp, and use
the two ~128 MB partitions as swap. Then, then make a mirrored vinum
volume out of the two other partitions.

(As an aside, another approach would be two paritions on each where
one disk has root and vinum, and the other disk has swap and vinum.)

IIRC, in 4.0, it will be possible to use vinum volumes as the root
partition. I have no experience with this... yet.

> Or can I only
> create vinum volumes on free partitions?

Not exactly sure what you are asking here. What's a "free" partition?

> Or alternatively, is there any
> way I can move my /usr (which also houses my /var and /tmp dirs) partition
> into a vinum volume?

Yes, just copy them like you would at any time. However, if you are
asking whether you can convert your existing UFS partition into a
vinum one non-destructively, the answer is no. You will have to copy
/usr to some other location in order to save the contents.

Kinda curious why I got CC'ed on this... Guess it worked, 'cause I
answered.