Date:      Sat, 04 Dec 1999 23:17:35 +0000
From:      Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rc.firewall revisited

"Rodney W. Grimes" wrote:

> ...  Didn't even read the rest, already wasted too much of my time on
>      this thread ...  It has been saved for reading when cdiff is in hand ...

[I bite my tongue]

> > > Provide a context or uni diff to -currents /etc/rc.firewall and I'll give you
> > > a ``review'', and a possible ``commit''.
> >
> > Fine. Can I also include the other changes I mentioned (moving IP
> > addresses into variables, which will also require some additions to
> > rc.conf, and a whole new section for a standalone pc)?
>
> You can submit anything you want, but remember I am going to ``review'' it,
> which means you may get a lot of things back you'll need to go work on :-).
>
> Like a request for a handbook section to explain all the new knobs you
> added, and man page updates, etc, etc...  People think Bruce is a nit pick,
> well, Just ask Sheldon about my ``reviews'' some time.  The sh(1) man
> page update process was 20 some odd iterations and 3 to 4 weeks of wall
> clock time before it got the ``Reviewed by:'' stamp from me.  The bde sio(4)
> and fastintr(9) driver code going into FreeBSD 1.0 was something like 100
> iterations, a 50% code change, and a man month of time on both mine and
> Bruces part.

LOL. If you can point me at a page that even remotely describes what the
current rc.firewall rules are doing, then I'll happily update it.
However, I'm not going to write one from scratch just for the privilege
of fixing the default installation. I've already fixed my machines...
For the rest of the world, I'll waste what time I can afford.

For the sake of everyone else's sanity, I'll submit the diffs to you
off-line.

cheers,
Adam
--