Date:      Tue, 09 Jan 1996 12:31:02 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        dfr@render.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone got GNU `dld' ported to FreeBSD?

> This is a lot of machinery you're talking about!  Why would this
> be easier or better than simply building the application to be
> dynamically linked in the first place?

Well, do you have any suggestions for building a dynamic linked binary
with *no* dependencies?  There isn't room on the boot floppy for a
binary and its shared library (and don't even talk to me about
building a "mini libc" - that evil idea has been discussed to death!)
so whichever binary I stick there can't have any *required* deps.
Having it load shared libs later, once it's latched on to some sort of
media, is a another matter - I just can't get past the startup deps
problem.

I've tried to link dynamic bins with libc non-shared and it just
doesn't seem to work! :(

							Jordan