Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 13:49:20 +0100
From:      Frank Bartels <knarf@camelot.de>
To:        Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NODESCRYPTLINKS=true

--SuSGaIqs99hP22V3

Heya Kal,

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 10:55:37PM +1100, Kal Torak wrote:
> Frank Bartels wrote:

> > we still use DES passwords on our system. If I do a make world
> > (4.2-STABLE), the libcrypt links in /usr/lib are replaced by ones
> > to libscript.  I found NODESCRYPTLINKS=3Dtrue in /etc/defaults/make.conf
> > and have put it into /etc/make.conf. But the links still get
> > replaced.
> >=20
> > The bad thing is, I cannot login after a reboot. I _think_ libscrypt
> > was able to detect des/md5 passwords in 3.x and logins were still
> > possible.
> >=20
> > Is there a complete documentation about libcrypt, libscrypt,
> > libdescrypt, passwd_format=3Ddes and the upgrading procedure from
> > 3.x to 4.x?
>=20
> Hmmm, did you cvsup and install the crypto dists? They used to be
> export restricted until recently so if you have an old sup file
> it probably dosent get them...

I've installed 4.2-RELEASE (bin+crypto), took the stable-supfile
from /usr/share/examples/cvsup and changed the host and compress
lines, cvsupped (from my own cvsup-mirror) and ran make world.

As I understand, there is no longer a separated crypto tree.

My own cvsup-mirror seems to be okay, as running cvsup -h
cvsup.de.freebsd.org does not make changes to my local source tree.

> If the crypto dist is installed the default password scheme used
> is DES, but the system should be able to understand both DES and
> MD5 passwords...

I know it should, but it does not.

> /usr/src/UPDATING is a good place to find out about the procedure...

The information is not really helpful for my problem (I check
UPDATING often).

So there are still two questions:

- why are the links replaced?
- why does my libscrypt not understand DES passwords?

My make.conf says:

NODESCRYPTLINKS=3Dtrue    # do not replace libcrypt -> libscrypt links
NOPROFILE=3D      true    # Avoid compiling profiled libraries
MAKE_IDEA=3D      YES     # IDEA (128 bit symmetric encryption)
USA_RESIDENT=3D           NO

Bye,
Knarf
--=20
  Frank Bartels   |  Tel: +49-89-849308-0  | CameloT - Der "sagenhafte"
 knarf@camelot.de | http://www.camelot.de/ |     Internet-Provider

--SuSGaIqs99hP22V3

--SuSGaIqs99hP22V3--