Date:      Fri, 30 Dec 1994 17:25:51 -0500
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers%ponds@ncren.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   uname -a/uname -v broken (or not?)

I'm not up in the particulars of POSIX here, but I was just playing
aroung with uname and noticed the following output of 'uname -a'.

FreeBSD lakes.water.net 2.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.0-RELEASE #1: Mon Dec  5 21:06:49 EST 1994     rivers@lakes.water.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/LAKES  i386

Now, I know I've written shell scripts that don't use the uname options,
but depend on the fact that fields are blank separated, and use uname -a.

The '-v' (the version level) output contains *many* spaces (around
the build date, who built it, etc...) which, of course, would break
any such assumption.

>From the man page, we have the text:

     If the -a flag is specified, or multiple flags are specified, all output
     is written on a single line, separated by spaces.

which would indicate that the spaces in the version information are incorrect.

The man page claims that uname is  POSIX conforming - can someone check
IEE Std1003.2 to see if we've broken this....

If it is broken, what should we use for the "version" information?

	- Dave Rivers -