Date:      Fri, 6 Nov 1998 14:06:21 +0100
From:      Armin Gruner <ag@devsoft.com>
To:        Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Win95 and connection to isdn4bsd on FreeBSD

On Fri, Nov 06, 1998 at 11:38:55AM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:

> Noone ever should use an asyncmap for sync connections!

Well, sure :)

> But: how did you configure the Windows 95 dial up connection? There are at
> least two ways to do it: (1) you can use the infamous capi-to-modem
> converter driver (the name of which I always forget, was it IModem?) or (2)
> you can use the network driver delivered with you ISDN card. I've seen this
> drivers at with AVM cards and USR cards.

I've installed the NDISWAN drivers that came with the card.
I upgraded to Dialup-Network 1.3, which includes also the ISDN
accelerator pack 1.1.
Now it is questionable if they are really NDISWAN drivers
or just modem stubs for the CAPI, not sure about that.
The card is a USR ISDN Sportster. Perhaps it won't happen with
other software like the online power pack with a Teles card.
I will try that, we have one in the company.

> If you do (1) the system thinks the connection is async, so the observed
> behaviour is not that brain-dead.

Sure.

If you use (2) it knows about the sync
> connection and should handle PPP options accordingly (the network card
> driver talking to the ISDN card has to specify async/sync and bearer
> capabilities to the PPP session API, so it will probably do the right
> thing).

Well, I thought the same. But even when I use the setup to connect
to a providers PriMUX with sync PPP, it looks like it sends
an async map (see my debug outputs for the netblazer connect)

> I always used (2) and never ran into a problem - but I didn't test it
> against i4b, as I always replaced the Windows 95 ISDN access completely by a
> router system running i4b ;-)

Well, I am happy with that setup, too.
But my boss wants to connect to our FreeBSD route from home, with
Windows95 for document (sigh!) exchange..

	Armin

--

    Armin Gruner
    Forschung und Entwicklung

--
Armin Gruner, /dev Software GmbH                        Fon +49-89-286 598 43
Gabelsberger Str. 51                                    mailto:ag@devsoft.com