Date:      Fri, 05 Jan 2001 19:50:42 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lucent Wavelan and 4.2 works like a charm.

In message <20010105115043.H23398@Odin.AC.HMC.Edu> Brooks Davis writes:
: With current pricing trends, I think this is becoming less and less
: true.  With the the D-Link access points running as low as $234 on
: shopper.com the price difference between an access point and a PCI card
: is rapidly approching 0.  Ad-hoc is still important, but frankly it's
: not very useful for most situations.

But the price of a single card is approaching $110 for the same d-link
cards, so the price delta is still fairly large.  ISA pccard bridge
cards are about $20 each, so the price delta is still about $100.

ad-hoc will be around for a long time.  But it doesn't have to be the
default so long as there are good instructions for setting up
networks.  We really need a section in the handbook about this.  I
know the difference between IBSS and BSS mode, but I'll bet most
novices to this do not.

Warner