Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 21:36:50 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        end2end-interest@ISI.EDU
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   A Reliable Multicast protocol (RMDP)

If someone is interested, a very experimental version of our (Lorenzo
Vicisano and myself) Reliable Multicast data Distribution Protocol
(RMDP) is available at

	http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/rmdp-alpha.tgz

It includes sources for both a client and a server.  It works much
like ftp, over multicast or unicast UDP. I have a server (rmdpd)
running at my site, mirroring a subset of my web page, so you can
try it by asking

    rmdp [-u | -t TTL ] [-o outfile] rmdp://labinfo2.iet.unipi.it/index.html

where -u is used for unicast UDP, and -t is used to set the TTL for the
multicast request.

This prototype still does not implement congestion control, which
is in the works, and is independent of rmdp anyways.

Even as it is now (I don't expect more than a few users), it is
not a worse net-citizien than "vic" and friends, since it is
rate-limited at the sender (defaults at 64Kbit/s) and files are
not as long as video stream...

Feedback welcome.

	Cheers
	Luigi