Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:39:41 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "BSD Mail" <bsdmail@gmail.com>, <FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: ATA problem

Have you downloaded Wdc_cfg.zip from the Western Digital website and
firmware updated your EIDE drive?
Go to software & drivers, WD Caviar 7200RPM, IDE RAID compatibility
upgrade, Non-3ware cards.

While this is supposed to help only for RAID it might help for you.
Apparently WD introduced some goofy timeout thing for these drives
to "reduces idle acoustic noise in desktop drives"

Ted