Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 21:06:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        chris@calldei.com
Cc:        sjr@home.net (Stephen J. Roznowski), freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make_dev() warnings

Chris Costello wrote...
> On Thu, Nov 11, 1999, Stephen J. Roznowski wrote:
> > I'm running a -current kernel from 2 November, and am getting the
> > following warnings:
> >
> > WARNING: driver xpt should register devices with make_dev() (dev_t = "#xpt/0")
> > WARNING: driver pass should register devices with make_dev() (dev_t = "#pass/0")
> >
> > Is this something that I should send-pr, or are these being worked on?
>
>    They're things that should be using make_dev(9) instead of
> whatever it is they're using.

Yep.

>    If you want to submit a patch for those CAM devices to use
> make_dev, go right ahead!

Don't bother.  I've already got patches out for review that change all of
CAM over to make_dev().

If anyone is interested, here they are:

http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~ken/cam.make_dev.diffs.110899

I'm interested in feedback, since I've only really tested the pass driver,
and even still it hasn't been tested in a hot-swap scenario.  I'm
especially interested to hear whether hot swap works correctly (i.e.
doesn't panic the kernel or anything) with these patches.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org