Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 12:45:48 +0100
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        Nils Bokermann <nilsb@bermuda.de>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPPoE and MTU problem

Hi,
> The following problem: I have a DSL-Connection to the internet, and a
> few client behind the BSD-Box (see picture). I can do connections to the
> internet, nearly everything works. But I DO have 2 systems (which I
> desperatly need), which do NOT fragment the packets. When using a Linux
> Router (don't blame me for that) everything just works fine. Is there a
> problem with my configuration, or is that a BSD-specific-Problem.

it's a problem with your configuration. You have to use tcpmssd on your
FreeBSD router. If you can read german, check out chapter 5.2 of my
"Using T-ISDN-DSL with FreeBSD" tutorial. The URL is
http://www.ruhr.de/home/nathan/FreeBSD/tdsl-freebsd.html#TCPMSSD

The quick and dirty summary of the chapter
a) Check if the port skeleton for tcpmssd contains a file names patch-aa.
If the file is missing, download a new port skeleton from www.freebsd.org
b) Build and install tcpmssd
c) Run "tcpmssd -p 1234 -m 1492", do not use the -i variant, it doesn't
   work. Don't use -m unless you have the new version of the port or
   tcpmssd will crash when it receives the first packet.
d) Add a rule to your ipfw ruleset
divert 1234 tcp from any to any out xmit tun0 setup
   Place the rule right next to your existing natd rule
e) Make sure that tcpmssd is launched automatically on reboot.

/s/Udo
PS: Your ppp.conf violates RFC2615. You are not supposed to use any kind
of compression on a PPPoE link.
--
"41.6: Ersetzen von Austauschen" (HP Color LJ 5M Fehlermeldung)
"41.6: Replace Coating Kit" (das englische Original dieser Meldung)