Date:      10 Nov 1998 18:28:09 -0600
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        Sren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>, sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu, nate@mt.sri.com, kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au, dnelson@emsphone.com, rivers@dignus.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux software installation and uname

>>> Why would we not put a real linux uname(1) in /compat/linux/usr/bin?
>>> This is an emulation issue.  Why impact the BSD userland sources?
>> Hear hear!!
> I imagine that the install script is run by /bin/sh, not
> /compat/linux/bin/sh so it will get the regular /usr/bin/uname
> whatever is present in /compat/linux/usr/bin.

I have yet to hear of any solutions that don't require a hack to the
install procedure (eg, setting an environment variable).  Unless
somebody comes up with an idea that would magically detect what
environment a given script wants, I would recommend putting a Linux
uname in /copmat/linux where it belongs, and the install procedure's
PATH can have /compat/linux ahead of /.  This is easy to implement,
keeps the core of FreeBSD pure, and paves the way for future
similarities.

Happy hacking,
joelh

--