Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 21:18:50 +0100
From:      Borja Marcos <borjamar@sarenet.es>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Security zone

On Sunday 25 November 2001 17:15, you wrote:
> This only helps if you run every application setuid to a
> unique uid. And then it can't get at your personal files....
> There's an additional matrix of capabilities here that
> ought to be independent of uid or gid.

=09(Sorry for the delay)

=09I find the issue a bit complex. Which criteria could I use in ipfw rul=
es?=20
The program name? I use process accounting in most machines, and it can b=
e a=20
great tool, but an intruder can notice it and rename his/her programs so =
that=20
the executions get logged as harmless commands. At least the uid is more=20
difficult for an user to alter than a process name.

=09Or are you thinking about something more complex? Perhaps using progra=
m=20
signatures? For now, I think that the uid/gid parameters in ipfw rules ca=
n be=20
very convenient.

=09Borja.