Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 1996 10:16:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Anthony Monroe <tmonroe@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [2.1.5-R] What causes...

On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Anthony Monroe wrote:

> I was happily installing 2.1.5-RELEASE last night from CD to my new
> SCSI disk.  After all the copying was done, and I rebooted the system,
> I could convince it to load the kernel, but I was greeted by this
> discouraging message:
>
> 	panic: cannot mount root

Your SCSI disk is not the first or second in the chain.  You'll have to
explicitly give the location of your partition to the boot block using the
new syntax:

1:sd(2,a)/kernel

or something like that.

> I guess I could reinstall things to my heart's content, and some
> correct partitioning of the disk might cause it to go away.  (But I
> don't know, so I'm asking.)

No, that's not it.

> My main question is what causes this kind of panic -- what prevents
> the kernel from mounting / properly?  Improper partitioning?  Last
> time that happened, i just had a bunch of data disappear.  No panics
> or anything.  (Do you need hardware information from me?)

It looses track of where it thinks the real root is.  This can be fixed if
you can boot and rebuild the kernel and hardwire it for the kernel
location (found on the kernel line in your config).