Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 16:08:33 -0800
From:      Arun Sharma <arun@sharma-home.net>
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc:        i18n@FreeBSD.ORG, bsd-india@sharmas.dhs.org
Subject:   Re: New locale: hi_IN.ISCII

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 02:12:23AM +0300, Andrey A. Chernov wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 20:41:35 -0800, Joseph Koshy wrote:
> >

> > Andrey,
> >
> > FYI, I'm verifying this patch (Hindi locale).
> >
> > I've a question about FreeBSD's locale naming conventions: AFAIK the
> > official name of the `ISCII' encoding is `IS13194' (Indian Standard 13194).
> > So should the locale be named `hi_IN.IS13194'?
>
> We should use most compatible with X11 name. First look at X11 or XFree86,
> if some name exist there, we should use it. The second one is Linux (as
> most likely merge to X11 candidate), etc.

XFree86 uses:

hi:						hi_IN.ISCII-DEV
hi_IN:						hi_IN.ISCII-DEV
hi_IN.isciidev:					hi_IN.ISCII-DEV

http://cvsweb.xfree86.org/cvsweb/xc/nls/locale.alias?rev=1.48&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

Linux uses (from locales-hi RPM):

$ ls -d /usr/share/locale/hi_IN.*
/usr/share/locale/hi_IN.ISCII-DEV/  /usr/share/locale/hi_IN.UTF-8/

UTF-8 will be a completely new encoding and I think we should support
both.

1. People who need to view multiple Indian language fonts simultaneously
   will use UTF-8.

2. People who want to read a document written in one Indian language,
   using other language fonts (it may or may not make sense, but they
   can still read it), will use ISCII.

	-Arun