Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2002 21:30:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, developers@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request for submissions: FreeBSD Bi-Monthly Development Status  Report (fwd)

:On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:
:
:> Robert Watson wrote:
:> > I thought about it, but haven't had time to implement.  Right now I just
:> > cat the messages together, render, and fix warnings and errors due to bad
:> > sgml in submissions.  Oh, and write an introduction.  It's actually a
:>   ********************
:> > remarkably simple process [for me], but I agree we could make it easier
:>                                                            **************
:> > for developers.
:>   **************
:>
:> Oh.  I just have to laugh.  I can't help it.  8-) 8-).
:
:I kid you not :-).  About 40% of the SGML submissions I receive are broken
:in some form, despite a template that is correct.  Usually it's unclosed
:tags, removal of a necessary tag, etc.  If I had to guess, asking for
:nroff/mdoc submissions would result in a slightly higher success rate, as
:I suspect developers have a bit more experience with it, and also don't
:have to install a port to get syntax checking.
:
:Robert N M Watson             FreeBSD Core Team, TrustedBSD Projects
:robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories

    You could create a port.  e.g. 'senddevstat', which pops the person
    into vi with a template and runs it through a checker when one
    saves and quits, then asks whether to send it or not.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>