Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2001 09:20:15 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "oldfart@gtonet" <oldfart@gtonet.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-security@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Donation For Earthquake Relief Work

oldfart@gtonet wrote:

> No, I'm not joking. While you have to go online to get mail you could also
> visit the forum.

Not as quickly as I can download all my mail to read offline.

> Surely you do browse the web anyway?

Yes, when I have something specific to look for.  I don't want to have to
do it all the time just to read mail.

> As for searching, IE and Netscape also have a "find" (find in page or
> find on this page) feature. Welcome to the 21st century.

Do they allow as complex searches as Mutt does?  I doubt it.  Does the
"find" feature of the browser search all posts in a particular group?
No, it would just search the currently displayed post, or whatever.
Would a server-side search function to do that work offline?  No.

These are just some of the reasons web interfaces to mailing lists suck.
The fact that most browsers are unreliable pieces of shit is another.

> I don't know that SPAM isn't a security concern. I don't want spammers on or
> using my network.

Does that make it on-topic for -security?  Not really.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D