Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2001 11:56:45 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCCARD/NEWCARD won't configure on 5.0

In message <20011124055209.D0E203E31@CRWdog.demon.co.uk> Andy Sparrow writes:
: pci_cfgintr_search: linked (62) to configured irq 0 at 0:31:0
: pci_cfgintr: 0:30 INTC routed to irq 0
: pcib2: routed slot 5 INTA to irq 0
: pcic0: <TI PCI-1420 PCI-CardBus Bridge> irq 0 at device 5.0 on pci2
: pcib2: device pcic0 requested unsupported memory range 0x44000000-0xffffffff (decoding 0xd0200000-0xd02fffff, 0xf0000000-0xf00fffff)
: pcic0: Could not grab register memory
: device_probe_and_attach: pcic0 attach returned 12

OK.  Here we see the confluance of two problems.  First, irq 0 is
bogus and likely illegal per the pci spec for devices that do
interrupt.  Even if it isn't illegal, it is wrong wrong wrong wrong,
but lots of people do it.  I have a patch for -stable, but not for
current.

The second problem is, at its base, that we're not assigning memory
for this device in the pci layer.  However, pccbb tries to work around
that by asking the pci layer for a specific range, triggering an
allocation.  That allocation is failing (the third of two problems :-)
because the bridge code isn't clipping the request to what's decoded,
but rather rejecting it.

Until problem 1 is fixed, problem is moot for you.  NEWCARD doesn't
have the concept of polling, which is problem number 4 of 2, so you
can't do the OLDCARD trick of using ISA interupts (which NEWCARD
doesn't support either, problem number 5 of 2).

Gotta love one problem report hitting 5 problems all at once :-)

Warner