Date:      26 Nov 1996 12:38:32 -0500
From:      "Paul F. Wells" <paul@wellserv.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Experience with Adtran XL/XLT and single user mode

Folks,

Because of a lack of serial ports/IRQ, I obtained an Adtran XLT
ISDN router/bridge.  My current provider, however, does not provide
either routing or bridging.  The XLT has a 'single user IP gateway'
mode which seems to be exactly what I need.  In this mode, the XLT
netotiates the PPP link and obtains IP addresses for 'itself', the
gateway, etc.  All of that appears to be working just fine.  In order
for the workstation to get the IP address, it needs to send a BOOTP
request to the XLT.  I have searched everywhere on the CDs, and the
closest I get is netboot.com.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but netboot
won't do it...I'm not willing to reboot the system every time I dial
out for an internet connection, especially if I have to drop to DOS
to do so.  Seems like a huge waste of time and effort.

Has anyone out there successfully used this single user mode of the
XLT, and if so, what and how did you have to hack to get it working?

Since I didn't mention it, this is with 2.1.5-RELEASE.

Thanks very much,
--
Paul F. Wells                      <paul@wellserv.com>
Wells Services Company Limited     +1 770 941 5810