Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:33:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd <freebsd@bugtracker.compusa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: problems with smp on compaq 1600

On 16-Jan-01 freebsd wrote:
> I'm having a problem getting SMP working on a compaq 1600 with 4.2. The
> last thing i get is no devsw, then it hangs when it try to mount root.
>
> /kernel: no devsw (majdev=0 bootdev=0xa0300000)
> /kernel: Mounting root from ufs:/dev/idad0s2a
>
> I'm not sure what i need to look at.
> Should i also paste kernel config? I just remove the # from the 2 smp lines
> and built my kernel.
> btw what does this mean? Extended Table HOSED!

Ok, after comparing the two tables, it looks like you have interrupts on pins
higher than 23, which might be the problem.  Peter, does -current support 32
APIC ints now?  If so, you could try installing a current snapshot as a test to
see if it works.  If it does, then 5.0 will run in Full mode fine, but 4.x will
need the mapped mode.